Yes, you read it right. Forget going to the gym. If you want to make yourself attractive, make it your new year’s resolution to learn Spanish! Here’s why…
1. Learning Spanish burns calories! Make your brain work and the mere process of thinking will suck up glucose and oxygen from the bloodstream. Flexing your mental muscle to learn a new skill will also give you a natural endorphin high that will make you feel good about yourself – bonus!
2. Spanish food is more healthy than many Western diets. It’s long been known that a Mediterranean diet offers numerous health benefits such as reduced heart disease, blood pressure and diabetes. Rich in fresh vegetables, fruit, pulses and unsaturated fat from oil and nuts, you are also likely to lose weight eating these low GI foods.
3. Spanish nightlife makes you burn energy! Anyone who has spent time in Spain or Latin America will know that the night starts late, and goes on until the early hours. It’s completely normal to dance the night away with nothing but a bottle of water in hand, collapse in bed as the sun is rising…and then go on to do it all again the next night. Infinitely more fun than any treadmill.
4. As many Spanish-speaking countries boast a warm climate, you are likely to wear less and therefore be more aware of your body. You’ll also be surrounded by typically attractive people and this will have a subliminal effect of re-programming your brain’s ideal body image, giving you impetus to tone up.
5. If you are living in or visiting a Spanish-speaking country – which you are more likely to do if you are learning the language – you are likely to burn more energy than back home. Travel through South America and you’ll be on foot, bike or skis exploring new places. Take a city break in Barcelona and you’ll be moving between shops, cafés, museums and beaches. Take a Spanish course and you’ll be walking to and from the language school each day and visiting places of interest without even thinking about the exercise.
And last but not least – and not necessarily a way to lose weight – your newfound Spanish skills will earn you street cred. Who’s not impressed when someone pipes up with a line in Spanish whilst on holiday or at work when a foreign client drops by? Learning Spanish will keep you in shape long after your biceps have withered.
Cactus offers Spanish courses in Spain and countries across Latin America. We also run Spanish evening courses for adults and Spanish afternoon courses for children aged 7-15 in London and locations across the UK.