The world is your oyster when it comes to training and teaching English, but where is the best place to take TEFL?
With ELT (English Language Teaching) or TEFL (Teaching English as a Foreign Language) courses available in locations ranging from London and New York to Buenos Aires and Shanghai, your teaching qualification really is your passport to a new life elsewhere, if that’s what you wish. The question is, where?
If you don’t already have a strong preference for a particular country, location or course, a good starting point is to think about where you eventually intend to teach. There are various advantages to taking your ELT course in the same place you hope to teach, as follows:
- You will be perfectly placed to start looking for a job before you have finished your course, with good access to local job vacancies
- Schools prefer to see teachers face-to-face, so you will be able to visit and attend interviews in person
- Some training centres guarantee you a job if you pass your ELT course with them
- It makes sense logistically and financially
- You will meet people on your course who also planning on staying in the city/area, meaning that you have a ready-made network of people; this is particularly helpful if you are venturing on your own
If you speak a foreign language, you might naturally gravitate towards a location where that language is spoken; this will enable you to keep up the language and it will prove incredibly useful when it comes to settling in to a new place.
Whatever stage you’re at, visit Cactus TEFL or call 0845 130 4775 for advice about any aspect of ELT courses or jobs.
Cactus TEFL is an admissions and advice service for quality teacher training courses worldwide. We work with the majority of well-known course providers to offer CELTA, Trinity CertTESOL, equivalent and online courses in over 90 locations across 36 countries. Cactus TEFL also offers free post-course careers advice and support, as well as access to our very own TEFL jobs board and job alerts.